M.S., Biology, Kansas State Teachers College (now Emporia State University), 1959
B.S.E., Industrial Arts and Biology, Kansas State Teachers College, 1957
A longtime teacher of Lawrence, Kansas, high school students in biology, Stan came to the Survey after retirement to continue sharing his interests and experiences in Kansas natural history. During his teaching career, he engaged his students in specimen collection projects through the Kansas Biological Survey as well as summer study projects funded by the former Kansas Fish and Game Commission. These forays included work tracking populations of various mammals and birds in Kansas. He was inducted into the Kansas Teachers’ Hall of Fame in 2011 and named the Kansas Ornithological Society's Avian Conservationist in 2007. Among his other many awards are the Outstanding Science Educator Award of Kansas Academy of Science in 1995.
Stan continues to conduct research in Kansas on:
- Distribution and ecology of bats
- Nesting colonies of Great Blue Herons
- Ecology of amphibians and reptiles
- Distribution and ecology of native flora
Prendergast, J.A, W.E. Jensen and S.D. Roth. 2010. "Trends in Abundance of Hibernating Bats in a Karst Region of the Southern Great Plains." Southwestern Naturalist, 55:331-339.
Roth, S.D. and J.M. Marzluff. 1989. "Nest Placement and Productivity of Ferruginous Hawks in Western Kansas." Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, 92[3-4]:132-148.
- - Advancing soil organic matter research: Synthesizing multi-scale observations, manipulations & models. 2018
- - Are biogeochemical responses linked to the microbial composition of a defined nutrient and microbial input to a large river? 2018
- - Bathymetric surveys of Council Grove and Marion reservoirs and harmful algal bloom (HAB) sediment coring at Milford Lake. 2018
- - Designing models to forecast how biogeochemical fluctuations in soil systems govern soil development, terrestrial water storage and ecosystem nutrient fluxes. 2018
- - Does nutrient form control harmful algal bloom (HAB) toxin release? 2018
- - Extending our knowledge base of the human and natural forcings of critical zone dynamics and evolution at the Calhoun Critical Zone Observatory. 2018
- - Farming for a smaller dead zone: How agricultural conservation practices, artificial drainage, and climate change affect water quality in Iowa. 2018
- - Funding for hosting 2018 Great Plains Limnology Conference at the KU Field Station. 2018
- - Funding for hosting the 2018 Great Plains Limnology Conference. 2018
- - Microbes on the move: Exploring microbiomes through mobile museum experiences. 2018